Friday, July 15, 2011

Food Waste Friday

Food Waste Friday

On Wednedsday July 6, 2011 I decided to finally join The Frugal Girl and begin TRULY attempting to reduce our family's food waste and in the spirit of Mom's Plans I am guesstimating how much the food waste cost our family. 

This was my first full week of documenting my family's food waste & I have to say it was upsetting when I actually took the time and truly observed what I was wasting.  In addition to what I saw wasted, I really believe that we would have wasted more if I had not been so attuned to not wasting.  For example, we ate a ton of produce this week, which is great, but I don't think we would have eaten that much had it not been for me shoving it down all of our throats (with love of course) so that it wouldn't go to waste.

So here is the waste:


One moldy, squishy squash (.75)

One plum I was going to use in a smoothie that my husband threw away first and I just couldn't bring myself to put it in the smoothie after it had been in the trash (.33).

4 moldy, left over buns (.50) that weren't very good to begin with, 1 can of funky hummus(2.50) ( I had meant to purchase tahini and had no clue what I was buying), and some quinoa (2.00).

That is $6.08 total for food waste.  Not so hot.  Hopefully next week will be better since I cleaned out the fridge this week. 

3 comments:

  1. You did really well! How about the corn kernels in the pancakes next time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job! That's not bad at all. If you wanted to, you could freeze the buns to keep them from molding- either as they are or since they weren't so great to begin with, cut them up to make croutons or breadcrumbs out of them for soups and salads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca, you are so right. I should have used them for breadcrumbs or croutons. Homemade croutons are so yummy! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete