Monday, July 4, 2011

Saturday Savings on a Monday

We were visiting my in-laws over the weekend so I didn't get a chance to grocery shop.  I went out this morning and am still being disappointed in the totals at the ends of my receipts.  I was just under budget this week and I didn't buy any bacon or chicken (which I had planned on and still may, but that would be another $15), milk, yogurt, or eggs.  All of those are organic items that I purchase and I know would add about another $15.  Wow!!!!  The kids are of course home over the summer and I am feeding them snacks and lunch which I normally would not, but I really thought through savvy shopping I could do it.  I am now seriously questioning my abilities. 

Now on to happier thoughts I was able to stockpile some more lunch meat.  Meijer was having a sale on Hormel's Natural meats which have no preservatives or extra ingredients.  So I was able to get 10 containers of lunch meat for $15.00.  I was also able to get 6 packs of similar hot dogs - all beef, no preservatives or added ingredients for 14.14.  That was it for my stockpiling, but blueberries & strawberries were on sale for $1.50.  And I got the kids to candy bars for free and if I can keep these hidden we will use them for a movie night.

Finally, a little bit of info about our grocery shopping for anyone new stopping by:
  • We are a family of four.  Two boys ages 5 & 7 with HUGE appetites and two adults we do not have any dietary restrictions.
  • We have a budget of $125, but I have really been blowing that away lately!!!!
  • We try to eat as much organic (or at least natural) and local food as we can.  Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose here.  This week there were great sales on conventionally raised chicken, but I stuck to my guns and didn't buy it and as of right now we are going without due to budget issues.  Did I make the right decision?  I have no idea, we will see.
  • We also try to avoid as much processed food as possible, while still letting the kids (and ourselves) enjoy it every once in awhile.
Well, here is the loot.....

2-Jul
Walgreens
3 cans olives$6.00   3.03 in store coup
Paper towels$5.00   2.50 coup
Total Spent$5.77
Total Saved$5.53
Total Coupons$5.53
Meijer
10 Hormel lunch meat$25.00   10 - $1 coup
Fire Crackers$3.00
2 Org Romaine$6.98   $2 coup
Org. Mushrooms$2.00
4 pluots$0.76
2 plums$0.51
6 goldfish$13.14   2 - $1.50 coups
3 pints blueberries$4.50
Total Spent$45.06
Total Saved$28.45
Total Coupons$15.00
Kroger
Toilet Paper$5.69   $1.50 coup
Feta Cheese$2.15
4 - 6 packs Pepsi$10.00
2-2  liters soda$1.58
Cascadian Farms cereal$3.19   .75 coup
2 Coco Puffs$4.78   2-.75 coups
24 pack cheese slices$2.99
6 OM beef hot dogs$16.14   3-$1 coups
3 Solid white tuna$3.75
Org. Gala Apples$5.19
Cashews$2.79
4.27 lbs org. bananas$2.95
3 ears corn$0.90
2 lbs. stbs.$3.00
2 pints grape tom.$4.38
2 mangoes$2.00
1.75 lbs. org. tom$2.77
2 candy bars$1.00   $1 coup
lemon$0.48
1.55 lbs. org. grapes$5.10   $1 off org. food
Total Spent$73.15
Total Saved$42.87
Total Coupons$8.75
Total Spending$123.98
Total Savings$77.93
Total Coupons$29.27
Total for July$123.98
Budget under 1.02
Monthly budgetunder 1.02
Yearly spending$1,821.01


How did you do this week?

3 comments:

  1. We too try to eat organic and natural...but it's so hard...and expensive! So, I feel your pain. :) But it looks like you still did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try some of the organic brownies for the boys snacks.

    I also loaded up on nuts my walmart had them on clearance right after christmas for $1.00 for two pound bags almonds, pistachios, cashews etc.. I dug some of these back out for our summer.
    I also bought tons of discounted bananas and the kids have topped them for frozen treats and made some into smooothies for them as well.

    Lots of carrots and berries and we loaded up on the triscuits and wheat thins when they were almost free a few weeks back.

    Hopefully some of these ideas help.
    I have four never full teens so I know what you mean stop by some time glossymoney
    Our budget is $120 a week and I have to stick to it or make it another way. Extra work to earn more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between four college funds to budget for and two retirement funds and ageing parents we have to stick to our budget around here. So,unless I pick up extra work we eat what we have or find ways to earn more if we wish to add more to the grocery budget for one week or so.

    ReplyDelete