Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Going Green Tip of the Week - School Supplies

Tip - Remember to buy RECYCLED SCHOOL SUPPLIES

As much as I would like to stay on summer vacation a bit longer, every Sunday after the Fourth of July I am forced to realize it just isn't going to happen.  The Sunday paper has now been taken over by "back to school" sales.  Being the frugal person that I am I love to see notebooks for .15 and pens for .50 or crayons for .25 and folders for .10.  I love to stock up for my children and for my classroom.  Yet yesterday, I was reminded that when buying school supplies I need to be mindful of more than just the price of the school supplies.  When I was at the library I picked up The Green Book  by Elizabeth Rogers and Thomas M. Kostigen.  Interestingly enough, the first page I turned to was about purchasing school supplies made of recycled material.  Here are some of their suggestions:
  • Purchase recycled supplies such as Post-It Notes, file folders, binders, notebooks, paper, pencils, rulers (made of plastic), scissors & folders.
  • Try to purchase post consumer recycled paper instead of preconsumer recycled paper.  Postconsumer requires 44 percent less energy to produce, reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 37 percent and produces 48 percent less solid waste.
  • Save and reuse paper clips.  Interesting tidbit - For every one hundred thousand paper clips produced, only twenty thousand are used to hold together paper.  The rest aren't being used.
  • When purchasing any school supplies (or anything for that matter) that is made of plastic, try to avoid plastic that contains PVC (polyvinyl chloride).  Products that contain PVC may have harmful effects on our immune systems and is difficult to recycle.
  • Try to buy crayons made of soybean oil instead of paraffin wax which is made from petroleum.
  • Try to use refillable pens.
And just a few tips from my experience in a classroom:
  • Talk to your children about recycling and encourage them to do so while at school.  I cannot tell you how often I see students who either don't think about recycling and just pitch their materials in the trash can or simply don't want to walk to the recycling bin, because the trash can is closer.  The second one drives me crazy!!!!  Too lazy to walk to the recycling bin, come on!!!!
  • Try to eliminate any waste in your child's lunch.  There are some super cute reusable containers out there or you can reuse containers you already have at home.  My "fine" reusable containers include former butter, sour cream, cottage cheese and lunch meat containers.  It is always funny when a student thinks I am eating butter straight out of the container. 
  • Use both sides of the paper.  This applies to when you are writing with pen or pencil or printing from your computer. 
  • Make your children go to "lost and found" when they lose something.  I cannot explain with proper detail the items I find left in classrooms, lockers, hallways, etc.  These are perfectly good clothes, school supplies, jackets, etc. and the kids do not care because mom or dad will buy them another one.  My own children are also guilty of this and when it happens I march their butts right up to the "lost and found." 
I know I have barely scratched the surface on how we can be better stewards of our planet regarding school supplies.  What are some tips you have, I would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment