Friday, July 29, 2011

Food Waste Friday 7/29

 On Wednesday July 6, 2011 I decided to finally join The Frugal Girl and begin TRULY attempting to reduce our family's food waste and in the spirit of Mom's Plans I am guesstimating how much the food waste cost our family. 


It was a better week here!!!!!  Thankfully, no meat was left out like last week.  I'm still upset with myself about that one. 

The first item I had to waste is this sad ear of corn (.20).  I've never seen corn with mold on it until this week.  It's pretty nasty.  The good news here is I was able to save the two other ears.  Before I started documenting food waste, they would have gone the way of the trash can.  Can you easily compost an ear of corn?  I think it would not decompose easily, but I'm sure I'm wrong and would love to hear if anyone has done it. 


The second item that got wasted, but did end up in the compost bin, was a portion of a zucchini (.00 - garden)  Although it didn't have mold, it was definitely not right. 


Finally, there were a few cherry tomatoes that I bought about a month ago and meant to put in a tomato (.20) sauce, but totally forgot.  That is it and a grand total of .40 for wasted food!  I'm getting better!!!  Although I still would love to say "I ain't got nothin' for ya" I know that documenting has definitely made a difference. My refrigerator is also so bare lately.  It is kind of weird.  How did you do?

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen mold on corn either! Do you keep yours on the counter or in the fridge. My mom always put hers in the fridge if she bought more than a day in advance. Not sure if that helps, but that's what she always did. :)

    ReplyDelete