Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Quick Frugal Note

I had a moment of panic this afternoon as I was planning my Friday grocery shopping trip.  I pulled out the CVS circular and then it dawned on me that I had ExtraBucks that I knew were going to expire this week and I didn't know when.  I hate to waste and I was really hoping I had not wasted $8 in free merchandise.  I grabbed my coupon organizer, opened it up and searched for those ExtraBucks.  As I pulled them out, I was happy to see that they hadn't expired yet, but today was the last day I could use them.  Whew!

I scanned the circular and realized I could get free shampoo, conditioner, and toothbrushes and get 4 new ExtraBucks.  But, I wasn't done with my frugality just yet.  I have been reading quite a bit this summer.  I usually try to cram in as much as I can since I rarely get to read anything but a textbook during the school year.  So I hopped onto Amazon.com and searched for some books that would interest me.  I recently read The Bookseller of Kabul and loved it.  So, I typed that in and looked at the recommended reads that were associated with it.  I found an interesting book, Kabul Beauty School.  However, I read the reviews and I wasn't sure it was a book that I would want to purchase.  As a high school social studies teacher anything I can use in the classroom I like to keep and share with my students.  Yet, this one was questionable because some people said the author had exploited the women of Kabul.  After reading those reviews I decided I wouldn't purchase it, but then it dawned on me to try the library and guess what, they had it!  This was amazing, because our library has tons of books, but they never seem to be the ones that I want. 

After having planned my shopping trip and library visit I jumped in my car and here is what I got.....


22-Jul
CVS
Pantene Shamp. & Cond. $6.97     $3 off 2 coup.
Colgate toothbrush$2.79     $1 coup.
5 packs of pens$2.50
   Used $8 in ExtraBucks
Total Spent$1.00   (.74 in tax)
Total Saved$26.06
Total Coupons$4.00
Extra Bucks Earned$4.00



Library
The Green Book                     $12.95
Debt Free for Life                   $19.99
Sisters in War                         $26.00

Total Spent                        Nothing, and that is why I love the library
Total Saved                       $58.94

If you are wondering why I didn't get Kabul Beauty School the answer is that it was already checked out and the kind people at the library will call me when it comes in :).

Isn't that great I got 3 books, shampoo, conditioner, a toothbrush and 5 packages of pens for a grand total of $1.00.  Now that is what I call "frugal".  I wish the rest of my life were this easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment