Friday, July 22, 2011

Food Waste Friday - Another Humbling Week

On Wednedsday July 6, 2011 I decided to finally join The Frugal Girl and begin TRULY attempting to reduce our family's food waste and in the spirit of Mom's Plans I am guesstimating how much the food waste cost our family. 


This is my third week of posting food waste and as I suspected (but actually more than I suspected) it has been a humbling experience.  This week I believe (this is from memory) that we threw out a zucchini (.00 - garden), a tiny amount of uneaten cowboy casserole (.25), an entire package of chicken tenderloins (3.47), a package of mushrooms (2.00), a green pepper (.00 - garden) and a small amount of yogurt (.10). 

The zucchini came from my in-laws garden and was GROSS, all squishy and watery.  I was going to make chicken tenders with the tenderloins and we ended up ordering pizza.  The tenderloins had been defrosting and got lost under dishes drying and were forgotten until the next morning.  The sad thing is this is not the first time I have done this.  I did try to salvage the mushrooms and green peppers.  Both actually didn't look to bad, so I tried to mix them in with some other veggies and grill them, but they tasted so bad I ended up picking each one out and throwing them away.  The yogurt just went bad due to my inattentiveness. The total dollar wasted was $5.82:(.  Maybe next week I will do better.

4 comments:

  1. It doesn't sound like much waste at all! We had to get rid of a bunch of stuff while we were packing up to leave the lake (unfortunately). I think I will try to make this a NO waste week this week to make up for it! :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate wasting meat! I put my defrosting meat on a plate and then sit it out on the counter so I won't forget to put it away. I've forgotten about meat more than once, so that was my solution.

    Eliminating food waste is hard, but it sounds like you are really trying. The first few months are always hard. Keep up the good work!

    Visiting from Food Waste Friday,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support Sharon and Elizabeth, I'm trying. I just didn't think I wasted that much to begin with, so it is hard to face the facts that I did waste a lot. Sharon good luck with no waste that is an admirable goal that I have yet to attain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bad! I always do that...set out meat and then surprise! we decide we're too lazy too cook. It hasn't happened so much lately, but it used to be a big problem. Another problem I have is keeping up on my canned goods...they're good for so long that I forget to use them. It's the worst.

    ReplyDelete