Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Goals Review

My summer is winding down.  On Aug. 3 I have to go back for my first professional development and that is where I mentally end my break.  I have to go back to paid work on the 9th of August, but there is a huge amount of unpaid work that takes place before that.  So, as of right now I only have about two weeks left  of summer vacation (insert huge frowny face here).  I have enjoyed my summer immensely and so have the kids.  But before it is too late, I wanted to do a quick review of my goals and see how I was doing.  In some areas I have excelled and in others I haven't even begun. 
  • Create and abide by a schedule for the kids and myself.  Please don't ask what the schedule is, I really haven't gotten there yet!!!! 
    • Well, lets see, sometimes we have a schedule and sometimes we don't.  I have slacked a little as of late.
  • Exercise and run a 5k in July, Aug, & Sept.  I have never done the one in July.  The heat has always discouraged me, but I'm going to do it anyway this year. 
    • Gosh darn it I skipped the July 5K again (in my defense I was having fun boating with the kids), but I have been running a little.  I should be ready for the August and September ones.
  • Tackle one house project.  I'm not quite sure what it will be: maybe paint the bedroom, maybe paint the bathroom, or maybe something else.
    • I still haven't done this.  I don't know what I want it to be.  I suppose that is a good thing, since it means I don't have anything terribly in need of repair here.  There is a first for everything, huh!
  • Read with the kids on a regular basis.  This will be part of our schedule.
    • I get a C here.  I have been reading with them, just not daily.
  • Do at least one fun thing with the kids a week.
    • A+, we have had a good summer.  Zoo visits, swimming, boating, movies, lots of good stuff. 
  • Set up a new website for my classes.
    • I need to do this.
  • Read some good books - some for fun and some for educational/self improvement purposes.
    • I have excelled here and am L.O.V.I.N.G. it.  I have read James Patterson and Kay Hooper for fiction.  A psychology book called Brain Rules, an awesome non-fiction called the Bookseller of Kabul, and am currently reading The Happiness Project.  I love to read and it makes me so happy to actually be able to do it.  I have really been trying to read at least 20 min. a day and on most days it has worked. 
  • Nurture my tomato plants and plant a fall garden with lettuce.
    • Tomato plants are doing great!!!!  I haven't done much with the lettuce though.
  • Learn how to create a "hot house".  I'm not sure that is the right term, but what I want is something like a tiny greenhouse that will allow me to grow lettuce and spinach into the colder months. 
    • Haven't done a thing here, I need to get to work on it.
  • Set up a new budget.
    • Well, I set it up!  I haven't done very well following it though.  This is always a big spending time of year for me.  I never buy clothes or shoes or accessories or any of those types of things, so this is when I splurge.
  • Make homemade yogurt.
    • Not yet.
  • ENJOY LIFE!!!!!!  ENJOY LIFE!!!!!  ENJOY LIFE!!!!!
    • Some, ok a lot, but I need to be a better mom and spend more time at home focusing on my children.  This is a goal that always brings me down.  It is the nagging, goal that is always there, but I always put it on the back burner because there is always something more pressing. 
How has your summer been going? 

1 comment:

  1. Based on the list, you have done a lot during the summer. Did you complete the list? You absolutely did the last one: ENJOY LIFE!!!! Cheers! You could use a general cleaning project for your house, though.

    ReplyDelete