Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Some Ramblings

Well, I don't have much of any substance to talk about today, so I want to just touch base on a few exciting things.  First, I arrived home today to two big boxes.  One I knew was organic peanut butter I ordered with Swagbucks.  I made a big mistake with this.  The total for 6, 16 oz containers was $24.  Somehow I got the math for that to equal approximately 1.50 a jar.  This is about what I am willing to pay for Skippy's Natural Peanut Butter.  But since I'm sure you are better at math than I am, you can see the glaring flaw in my calculations.  Anyway, I happily plunked down $15 worth of Swagbucks and made up the difference in cash.  I was rather pleased with myself until I discovered this mistake!  Well at $9 it does even out to $1.50 a jar and at least I didn't spend any extra cash. 

The second container was some margarine spread that I had signed up to sample.  I got two FULL sized containers of margarine spread for free, Yippee!!!!

Another exciting shopping event today involved Walgreens.  I had previously been to Walgreens in search of the fabulous Splenda deal they have going on.  80 oz are on sale for $2.99 and I had two coupons for $3 off.  Unfortunately they were either out of it or I simply couldn't find it, but today was my lucky day and I was able to get the last two boxes:). 

I have also had a few heart to hearts with myself over our budgeting concerns and I think reason has won the battle!  Taste of Home cookbooks are on sale for $5 and shipping is either free or only $1.  Both my mom and I would like some of these.  She borrowed one of her neighbor's Taste of Home cookbooks and both of us were drooling over it.  Anyway, our budget is exceedingly tight this month due to my car registration fees and one of Doug's paychecks not being quite what it is budgeted for.  So after a lot of thought and many times clicking the "cancel" button on the order, I was able to walk away.  We don't have the money right now, they will be on sale again, & we are committed to getting rid of that debt!  I'm proud of myself.  I am no where near where I need to be in terms of controlling my spending and budgeting properly, but I am making improvement!

2 comments:

  1. Colleen,
    I found your blog thru a linky about your grocery savings. I have just read all of your posts! You sounds a lot like I feel. Savings and couponing are so much fun. Plus, I love Goodwill. After reading all your posts I read your profile. So excited to see you are in Kentucky. I'm in Campbellsville about 90 miles south of Lville.
    You are bookmarked and I'll be following your blog faithfully.
    Blessings,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, Thanks so much! Your comments and bookmark mean so much. I have just started this, I'm sure you can tell, and it is great to know someone is reading, especially close to home. Thank you again for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete