Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A "New" Bedroom for about $100, Part I

We moved into our house close to three years ago and until recently hadn't done a thing with the master bedroom including our horrible yard sale furniture.  This is the first of two parts explaining how that all changed for right around $100 including getting "new" furniture.

We had been living with our atrocious bedroom furniture for way too long.  I wish I had a picture to show you of our furniture before the makeover, but since I don't here is the story behind it. 

My husband and I met in college and in his senior year of college (1996) his mother purchased for him a bedroom suite at a yard sale.  At that point, I am willing to venture and say, the furniture was close to thirty years old.  It is very much from the 70s.  To go along with the 70s theme it was also $70.  This included the two nightstands, the headboard, frame, mattress and box spring as well as the dresser.  He loved the retro vibe of it.  I felt a "bit" differently about the set that had an awful lacquer finish to it and screamed to be paired with orange shag carpet. 

Anyway, it was fine furniture for a male college student and it served him well.  However, it followed him into our marriage and has been with us through an apartment and three houses now and unfortunately it isn't in the guest bedroom - it is still in the master bedroom.  We did get a new mattress though :)! 


So, when my husband suggested we paint the furniture I saw it as my out.  This was my chance to get new furniture!  I had patiently been waiting (for 15 years) and once we painted the furniture (translate as - make it unusable) I could finally get the new furniture I wanted.  That isn't what happened though, I am now in love with our yard sale furniture and although I would still like to have new furniture I realize what I have right now is far better than dishing out the money for something new.  Here are pictures of how it turned out:


Before the makeover, it was a light oak with a lacquer finish, really shiny, with gold hardware and don't forget it looked like something out of "That 70s Show." 

We had to sand it, prime it and then we painted it the brown you see.  We also used the same hardware that was on there before.  We just spray painted it silver. 

It took about a day to do all of that, at the cost of about $50 and it really makes me wonder why we waited 15 years to do it.    It may not be new furniture, but I love the color and it was whole lot cheaper than purchasing new.

I will be back later in the week to tell you about how we finished the room off for under $100 total.


No comments:

Post a Comment