Friday, February 10, 2012

Food Waste Friday

On Wednesday July 6, 2011 I decided to finally join The Frugal Girl and begin TRULY attempting to reduce our family's food waste and in the spirit of Mom's Plans I am guesstimating how much the food waste cost our family. 

During my blogging hiatus I still worked hard to keep our food waste low.  Sometimes that worked and other times not so much, especially when we were in the late fall months of our CSA and we were getting lots of things I had no idea what to do with.  But my fridge is pretty well cleaned out right now and here are the nasties:

  • Some veggies I had intended to use in a pastry and just didn't get around to making.  Yesterday, I decided to try them in some spaghetti sauce and it tasted down right foul!  So the veggies hit the compost and the sauce pictured went in the trash. The veggies were practically free, but let's say they cost $1 and the sauce that ended up tainted by the the veggies was $1.50.   
  • I also had to trash some spaghetti sauce that had started to grow mold :(.  It was organic, which makes me doubly sad!  The cost of this sauce was about $3.00 (best guess!).
  • All total I wasted about $5.50 - not so good, but I guess that is what happens when you have to throw away organic spaghetti sauce.
Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. It amazing how fast tomato products can grow mold sometimes. Your waste wasn't so bad though.

    ReplyDelete