Friday, February 24, 2012

Food Waste Friday

On Wednesday July 6, 2011 I decided to finally join The Frugal Girl and begin TRULY attempting to reduce our family's food waste and in the spirit of Mom's Plans I am guesstimating how much the food waste cost our family. 


This week went to the beans, garbanzo beans that is.  About a month ago I made a huge batch of garbanzo beans.  This allows me to have quite a few for some yummy homemade hummus and my hubby plenty to eat himself.  The bad news is we didn't eat enough of them and they went sour and I means S.O.U.R., totally nasty.  So quite a few are heading to the compost bin (2.00) along with one tomato that was free, one lime (.25), one orange or lemon (I can no longer be sure which it is.... .25) and a bit of leftover hummus (.50)

So, it looks like this week I wasted about $3.00 worth of food.  It pained me to throw out the tomato, that is just not allowed!  I hope you did well yourself this week!

4 comments:

  1. Too bad about the tomato. It looks like it would have been good. Have you tried freezing garbanzo beans? I wonder how they would do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've frozen garbanzo beans before. They are a little watery once thawed, so are better used for hummus and the like as opposed to eating them as is, but it's definitely do-able. $3.00 doesn't seem too bad. This is my first week participating in FWF, but I'm hoping to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try freezing them sometime, in the meantime I'm no longer making the huge batches :)! Thanks for the idea & info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I freeze chickpeas, too. Just add a little bit of their cooking liquid, bag them up, and freeze. I thaw them out and use them for just about everything. I love making Middle Eastern Mussaka (Eggplant, Tomatoes and lots of Chickpeas, sort of like Ratatoullie,) or cooking them with brown rice and chicken or lamb, served with Greek Yogurt. Try that freezing method. I think you'll have great success! The canned variety can't hold a candle to these.

    ReplyDelete