Monday, June 27, 2011

Yummy, but Simple Chicken Pot Pie


Another recipe, oh my, I don't know what has gotten into me.  This is actually my mom's recipe and I loved it as a child and I am still loving it today.  I start by making my own crust, which is a very interesting experience, I never had any idea how much butter or shortening is required to make a pie crust.  The recipe for the crust is on food.com and you can find it by clicking here.  I actually make this crust with pure whole wheat flour, which is great because I often have to do half and half with whole wheat and all purpose.  I should also mention that this recipe has always yielded three pie crust for me.  I just roll up the extra one on some wax paper, freeze it and save it for a later time. 

Now, on to the good stuff! 

1.   Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.   Mix the following ingredients together:
  • diced or shredded chicken (I use about 2 cups)
  • 1 can of Veg-All or any mixed veggies (I usually use left over veggies such as carrots, potatoes, onions, celery & mushrooms and make my own Veg-All.)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
3.  Pour mix into pie pan that already has the bottom crust in it.
4.  Top with second crust, pinch the two crusts together and use a fork to make the edges look pretty if you desire (I'm such an amazing cook that I can't remember what the term is for that).
5.  This is purely a personal preference, but I like to either wrap the edges of the crust with aluminum foil or spread egg whites on the edges to keep them from burning.
6.  Poke some wholes in the top so it can air out as it cooks.
7.  Cook for approximately 45 minutes and enjoy this simple and delicious dish when you are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment