Tuesday, May 17, 2011

An Easy Way to Save $1000+ in a Year

I'm putting off doing the superfoods post, so I thought I would share a quick way to save some BIG money.  About a year ago my husband and I started really looking at our regular expenses and seeing what we could make cuts into.  At about the same time we got a flyer about an insurance company (we'll call them "company A") that said they could provide us with HUGE discounts because of where my husband works.  Normally I say "whatever" and recycle it, but the timing was right and I actually checked it out.  Believe it or not, they actually did provide us with a HUGE discount.  We went from paying a monthly bill of $160 to $93 for our car insurance.  Now that is a decent monthly savings and think of the long term savings!!!!

Well, it is now time to renew our home insurance and since our home insurance had previously been eligible for a discount due to the multiple policies that no longer existed our premium went up about $200.  So, I called insurance company A and discovered that they could offer us a home insurance policy that was about $500 less than what our old insurance company was offering us.  It took me about a millisecond to say "Sign me up for that."

So, let's do the math:
$804 from car insurance savings + $500 from home insurance = $1304 saved a year or $108.67 a month

Lessons learned:
  • 30 minutes of your life can actually help you save a lot of money.
  • Shop around for your insurance, it really is not that hard!  Honestly, 15 minutes for over $100 a month I think I can handle that!
  • Shop around every year.  I will come back and read this post when I don't want to spend the 15 min. to shop around :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment