Friday, March 9, 2012

Food Waste Friday, 3/9 - Oh, Produce!

On Wednesday July 6, 2011 I decided to finally join The Frugal Girl and begin TRULY attempting to reduce our family's food waste and in the spirit of Mom's Plans I am guesstimating how much the food waste cost our family. 


I've got some nasty produce this week.  The cucumber (.50) on top is quite squishy.  I tried to think of something to do with it, but I was drawing a blank.  A goal for next week is to be more intentional about using them in my and my son's lunches. 

In the bag to the left are some pretty nasty mushrooms (.25) and then the right are too many jalapenos ($1.00)! How could I waste such yummy jalapenos you ask.  I have no valid answer for that.  I simply forgot about them.  I promise I will not let it happen again!

I have a few things in the fridge this week that I will have to really watch and be intentional about (note to self- use those cucumbers!), but seeing how so many of you others salvage your food has been quite benefical for me.  I had a big learning curve here! 

Wishing you a good week next week!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know where everyone is getting these cucumbers that are turning squishy. The cukes in my stores are very expensive and don't look very good. Maybe I should take another look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stinks about the cuke and the jalapenos. I use them (the peppers) in omelettes whenever I need to use them up, but I too have had the rouge one or two that find their way to the bottom of the produce drawer found way too late to salvage.

    ReplyDelete